Share
Today was one of the days when my husband was really hungry after office.I had nothing but brown bread in my refrigerator.The same old boring French toast was a no no for sure.I wanted to make something I had never made before.
There I was, mixing ingredients as they crossed my mind.and Lo...my Invention-The Desi Toast was ready in minutes.
It was an instant hit ! So much that my husband asked me to pack them for lunch the next day too!


Here is the list of Ingredients that I recollected later
  • Brown/White bread slices-6 large
  • Eggs-3
  • Milk-1/2 cup
  • Red chilli powder-1/4 tsp
  • Pepper powder-1/4tsp
  • Ginger garlic paste-1/4tsp
  • Gram flour(besan)-2tbsp
  • Baking soda-a pinch
  • Bread crumbs-3tbsp
  • Salt-to taste
  • Oil-to shallow fry

 Method:
Cut the bread slices into two(rectangular or triangular).This way the pieces get crispier.
Beat eggs well till frothy.
Add the remaining ingredients except the bread crumbs and mix well.

Finally just before frying,add the bread crumbs
The gram flour binds everything together and the crumbs add crunchiness to the toast.
Add enough water so that it reaches the right consistancy( a little thicker than beaten eggs consistancy) 
Heat oil in a pan to shallow fry.
Dip each piece into the batter.Both sides of the bread needs to be coated well.
Immediately fry them.keeping the bread longer in the batter will tend to make the bread soggy and in turn break it.
Fry well on both sides on medium heat till golden brown.

Drain on paper towels.
Serve hot with ketchup.

Note:
While dipping into the batter to fry the next round of toasts,add a little water as the crumbs would have absorbed most of the water and the batter becomes a lot more thicker
Those counting on calories can replace egg yolks with more egg whites and go easy on the oil used.


This entry was posted on 12:25 PM and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1 comments:

    Pavithra Elangovan said...

    This toast looks awesome and I always loves it.. nice collection of recipes u have... wonderful blog.

  1. ... on February 8, 2010 at 1:12 AM  
Related Posts with Thumbnails